UFF-FIU is excited to present a Teach-In on Academic Freedom on Tuesday, October 25.
This event will be both a discussion of academic freedom and an exercise in academic freedom. View the flyer on the UFF-FIU website.
Speakers will include experts able to place HB-7’s current assault on academic freedom in larger political, historical, legal, and activist perspectives, empowering us with the knowledge we need to defend our work as scholars and teachers.
- Ellen Schrecker, historian, expert on McCarthyism and US Universities, and former editor of Academe.
- Barbara Madeloni, journalist, educational labor activist, and education coordinator at Labor Notes.
- Marvin Dunn, FIU Emeritus Professor of Psychology, public historian, and co-plaintiff in the current Pernell v. Florida Board of Governors case against HB-7.
- Ronald W. Cox, FIU Political Science Professor, activist, expert on corporate power within and beyond the university.
- Jacob-Alexander Chavarria, FIU-YDSA member and activist.
As we come together for this event, we will be building the collective power and knowledge necessary to defend academic freedom against the current assaults of HB-7 and BOG 10.005. By doing this in public first in the GC Pit, and then in a central location in Green Library, we will show our strength as a faculty as well as build our resolve to protect our freedom to teach and our students’ freedom to learn.
- Speakers and Music, Tuesday, October 25, 12:30-2:30pm, Graham Center Pit
- Panel Discussion, Tuesday October 25, 3:30-5:30pm, Green Library 100
If you would like to help organize this event, join in a meal with the speakers, or otherwise participate in UFF-FIU’s “Freedom to Teach, Freedom to Learn” campaign, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org